top of page

Frequently Asked Medicare Questions

When am I eligible for Medicare?

If you’re 65 or older, you may be eligible for Medicare. Usually, Medicare coverage starts the first day of the month you turn 65, but you need to apply for coverage. Also, those of any age on Social Security disability for at least two years are eligible for Medicare.

When is Medicare open enrollment?

When enrolling in Parts A (Hospital) and B (Doctor), you will want to take advantage of your 7-month Initial Enrollment Period; 3 months before your birth month, your birth month and 3 months after your birth month, to avoid penalties. If you miss this opportunity, you can enroll in Parts A and B during the General Enrollment Period, January 1-March 31, effective July 1.

What information do I need to enroll in Medicare?

You can enroll at and "Apply for Medicare" using your Social Security Number and completing the application. You will receive a phone call from Social Security to verify the information you entered.

Do I need to sign up for Medicare if I am 65 and still working?

If you have an employer group plan, or on your Spouse's employer plan, you may delay enrollment. First, talk to the benefits administrator where you work to be sure Medicare isn’t your primary insurance.

When is the best time to apply for Medicare? 

Four-to-five months prior to your 65th birthday and this can be accomplished by going to

Will my Medicare coverage follow me if I move out of state?

Yes. Medicare is a federal program and your Parts A & B will follow you, a change needs to be made upon your relocation. However, Medicare only pays 80% of your medical costs and if you have a Medicare Supplement or a Medicare Advantage Plan, a change needs to be made upon your relocation. Plans vary per State and per County of residence. Depending on your State of relocation, your premium may change.

My husband/wife is retiring and I am losing the coverage I had for his/her employer, what are my options until I am eligible for Medicare?

Depending on your state of residence, you can apply for individual coverage through the State's website or you can apply at

bottom of page